There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that Shurite/Shorin did practice a version of san chin kata. I thought it may be of interest to people to post some notes on the topic from that I had made from Kinjo Akio’s book detailing what he calls “Shuri Sanchin”.
1. Hohan Soken (circa 1966) demonstrated Matsumura’s San Chin. Did not pass it on to students.
2. Ishimine-ryu (1967) all Okinawa Karte-do Federation demonstration.
3. Shuri’s Bugei-kan Kancho, Higa Seitoku, (Matsu San Chin). Transmitted by Bushi Takemura (previously called Jou San Chin). Speculates that it is one part of the Jou / Ge San Chin kata set common in Fuzhou.
4. Nakamoto Masahiro mentions that oral accounts indicate that Kinjo (Ufuchiku) practiced San Chin.
5. Kyudokan – (1992) Higa Yuchoku states that his teacher Miyahira (Tanmei) performed Shuri San Chin for him two or three times.